Google is the undisputed king of the world of search engines. No wonder, it has established some rules and regulations that every website needs to follow in order to attain a good impression in the eyes of search engines.
Search engine optimization, or SEO in short, is the magic trick that you perform to your web content that transforms it from a dull back-bencher into a search engine topper. Let’s explore top 20 SEO terms for beginners.
- SEO: It stands for search engine optimization. It refers to tweaking certain tags and content of your web page to make them more ‘findable’ for the web crawlers of various search engines.
- Keywords: These are important words relevant to the subject matter of your web page. They are the terms or phrases that people use to search information online using search engines.
- Keyword Density: This is the value after dividing the number of times a particular keyword used by the total number of words on the page.
- Keyword Stuffing: Webmasters used to ‘stuff’ pages with keywords to trick search engines. Not anymore. In fact, you can be penalized for it.
- SEM: Search engines marketing (SEM) which is a combination of SEO and PPC, helps your websites or blogs fetch clients for you.
- PPC: It is a form of online advertising called Pay per click (PPC) that earns your money when a visitor clicks on the sponsored advertising links on your website or blog.
- PageRank: PageRank is the algorithm used by Google to decide the relative importance of a webpage. It depends on the number of links your website is attracting from other high-traffic websites.
- Backlinks: Backlinks are the links on other high-ranking websites that point to your page. The more quality backlinks your site has, the higher PageRank you attain.
- Outbound Links: Hyperlinks on a web page that are directed to other websites.
- Search Algorithm: These are Google’s rules to determine the relevance of a web page to search terms used by people. It includes PageRank, meta tag or title tag, content and even the age of a domain.
- Title Tag: This HTML tag is one of the most important factors of Google’s search. It is part of the ‘head’ tag of the HTML document and should include important keywords.
- Meta Tags: Another HTML tags placed in the ‘head’ section. They offer more information about the subject and content of a web page. They include a description, keywords, etc.
- Anchor Text: It is the text used in a backlink that links to your page’s content. A keywords rich anchor link is an asset for SEO.
- Indexing: Search engines scout through millions of web pages and collect and store relevant data from them. This process of updating their database is called indexing.
- SERP: The page that displays search results is called search engine result page (SERP). The more traffic your website attracts the higher your position on SERP.
- Web Crawlers: These are nothing but programs that comb the web and find pages with information relevant to your search.
- Analytics: This is Google’s software that tracks the traffic, source, keyword, bounce rate and offers other important statistics about your website’s performance.
- Bounce Rate: It is the rate of visitors who leave your website or blog after viewing just one page.
- Cache: This is the copy of a web page stored on user’s computer and helps faster loading of pages when you revisit them.
- Organic Search Results: These are the listings that ‘naturally’ display on search pages and the website owner hasn’t paid the search engine company for it.
Hope you got an idea about the SEO terms that is essential for a beginner. Feel free to contact us if you have any queries. If you like the post share it with your friends and subscribe to know the latest updates.